Silver Shells, for a Few Clams

Every now and then, I get a little bit obsessed about some thing. Maybe I saw it on Pinterest.
kaboodle silver shellKaboodle
Or in a catalog.
pottery barn shellsPottery Barn
Or in a shop, or even in someone’s house.
silver-conch-shell from completely coastal                                                  Completely Coastal

And so I begin to see if can find the object of my obsession. In this case,  it was silver shells for the dining room. 
 

Of course, with just a few quick clicks,  I can find what I was looking for and with a few more clicks, it can be mine. Or not. Because somewhere in the midst of those  mouse clicks, my brain begins to click. The first click usually sounds like That’s it! Where’s my credit card? The second click says You do not need more stuff to dust and store. The third click, which comes quickly behind the second says, How much? Wait, that’s like a great dinner out or a cut and highlights or—lacrosse cleats. Then, sometimes, the fourth (and cutest) click pipes up and says, I bet you could make something similar. It might be kind of fun. And that’s how I came to find myself in Hobby Lobby looking for sterling silver spray paint. Krylon sterling silver paint
Enjoying my collection of shells throughout the house, I decided some sterling silver shells would be perfect for the dining room. I didn’t want to paint any of my collected shells (sentimental, I guess), so I bought a bag of mixed shells from T.J. Maxx.
bag of shells
The sack yielded lots of scallop shells, a few whelks, a few conch, one nautilus, some quahogs, and some clam shells, all in varying sizes. I spread them out on newspaper in the drive, and sprayed them well. I don’t know what is in that sterling silver paint, but it was like but-tah. Seriously.  I so wanted to paint something else just for the pleasure of watching the paint coat and cover. Thankfully, I was able to control myself  because, of course, I had to flip the shells over and spray the other side an hour later.
IMG_1354
Phone photos really don’t do them justice, as they turned out great. The paint unifies them, and at the same time highlights the beautiful textures of each. I think these could be spectacular for a beachside (or even beach-themed) party or event.
IMG_1355 
Total cost for this little project?
Not a lot of clams, around $12.

Have you taken on any fun, do-it-yourself projects this summer?

I’m linking up to Savvy Southern Style's Wow Us Wednesdays, to Stone Gable's Tutorial Tips and Tidbits, and to At the Picket Fence Inspiration Friday, where you can see tons of amazing projects and tasty recipes!

17 comments:

  1. OMG, they look absolutely marvellous!!
    You have inspired me and have already pencilled in a trip to the craft store tomorrow morning for some silver paint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I might just have to give this a try... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. My little "decorating fads" tend to come and go rather quickly and this one would certainly not break the bank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the price is definitely right--about 90% less than actually buying a few silver shells! Also, I didn't even mention that the total project time is about 15 minutes, not counting shopping or drying time, which is two hours.

      Delete
  4. I love all your decorating tips. You're house also looked wonderful for the 4th. I tried to comment but was having some problems on my end. I hope you are doing well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are amazing! The voices in your head sound quite a bit like mine, and you certainly are knowledgeable on your shell varieties. I just may have to give this craft a try. Thanks for the "how-to!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly! Yes, funny about those voices. Vanessa over at The Picket Fence has a similar story of a coral topiary.

      Delete
  6. Great knock-off! Such a simple and easy solution! I have a bag just waiting for a little spray paint!!
    Your project would be perfect to share at TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS, my new weekly linky party going on now! Come on over and join in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The painted seashell are so pretty and elegant looking.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dee! And thanks for becoming a follower!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for posting this! I have a new office, and wanted to do something new that didn't cost a highlight!

      Delete
  8. Love these and love the price!! Thanks for sharing ~ now I'm off to find my oldest collection of shells to see if there's any I might part with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE silver shells too! Never thought to do it myself.
    xoxo
    SC

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this project! And I hear those voices, too, especially voice number two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! That second voice is really a spoil sport sometimes! ;)

      Delete

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment! I love hearing your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Add this