High Yield at Low Tide

Several days ago, I was delighted to find a new post about seashells on one of my favorite blogs, Reggie Darling.  Reggie routinely sets the bar high for good manners, tasteful decor and stylish living, but many blogs do that.  Reggie is attentive to detail, and his writing his witty and grammatically correct, which earns huge points with me.  What really sets Reggie apart, I believe, is the research and entertaining history that he incorporates into many of his posts. And that was what I found so charming about his post, Shell Mania.

IMG_1353Lettered olive shells on Rose Medallion plate

I had planned to do a short post on seashells before I saw Reggie’s (honest!), but his post did inspire me to “dig a little deeper,” shall we say!  I have decorated with found shells for years.  The Lettered Olive is the state shell of South Carolina, and so that is one of my favorite varieties to find and display. Most of mine are thumb-sized, but they can get much larger.IMG_2085Lettered olive shells in an old crockery bowl

After the Easter decorations are put away, these bowls and plates and various containers are usually filled with pinecones or lemons or left empty “to breathe.” Usually around Flag Day, I begin to get interested in adding some summer to the house. That’s when the shells come out.  The scallop shells below are from Anna Maria Island on Florida’s Gulf Coast. These shells are similar to the ones we find in Peru. The Peruvian government and U.S. Customs both frown on transporting shells, but I have managed to slip in a precious few.

IMG_2078Scallop shells in a black lacquered tray

The best time to find shells is during or just after low tide. Storms can yield spectacular results, so plan to take a walk once the weather clears. A net bag provides the ideal container for gathering shells, but a sand pail works great and a plastic grocery bag will do in pinch. It goes without saying that any shell that is still occupied must be returned to the sea.

After collecting shells, rinse them well and leave them in the sun to dry.  If you’re going to be at the beach for several days, then I’d suggest bringing along a Tupperware-style container or a disposable foil baking dish for soaking shells. After the initial shell rinsing, fill your container with water and a few drops of bleach. A few hours’ soak ensures that you will not be traveling home with  all the scents of the sea!IMG_2079Quahog shells, rocks and birch bark from a Maine vacation

One year while vacationing at Amelia Island, I spent hours walking the beach at low tide searching for a whole scallop shell. I knew that when I found this shell that it would be giant (at least as large as my hand) because the broken pieces scattered on the beach had deep ridges spaced widely. I looked and looked to find that whole shell, and finally felt as if God was telling me to stop looking for the perfect and to instead see the beauty in the brokenness.

IMG_1352Scallop fragments and (purchased) starfish

I began to gather the fragments, and every summer when I pull the shells out of storage, I’m reminded and inspired to think of ways that lesson applies to more than just shells.    

Do you collect sea shells? Where have you found the best shelling? And how do you display your collection?

4 comments:

  1. I don't collect shells, but what a lovely post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula, I love this post......I can so identify because I heard the Lord say the same thing to me one day on the beach at Edisto and I took back to the house some cracked and broken shells just like you did. I just love when our Lord speaks to us in such personal ways!! Thank you so much for sharing......and.....I too collect shells. I just LOVE them!!! Blessings to you, Cate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Cate. Yes, I am grateful God uses such simple things to teach such big lessons. I really appreciate your comment and hope you'll stop by again!

      Delete
  3. My Mom and Grandma and Aunt Rebecca would always compete to see who could gather the most olives @ Holden Beach. Good stuff. I don't know if you ever get to Raleigh, but don't miss FURBISH on your next trip! One of her most recent blog posts is a collection of shell pics. You'd love it and she's fun to follow. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment! I love hearing your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Add this