Grand Old Time


I have to admit I was feeling a little sorry for myself this time last week. It seemed like almost everyone I knew was headed to the beach, the mountains, or the lake. I think it was none other than Teddy Roosevelt
who said, "Comparison is the thief of joy," and I believe he was right. Turns out staying in town for the Fourth of July was just fine.

We started our celebration with our great friends, the Rs, with an Independence Day Eve cook out. Burgers and brats, tomato pie, watermelon and cherry pie were among the highlights, but the funniest moment of the evening was on our arrival, when we discovered that the Mister and the Mister R had dressed in like-minded fashion. Not sure what varieties Mr. R is holding there, but I do know there was plenty of Sam Adams, the patriotic choice!


In a bit of obsessive behavior, I bought cloth bunting for the upstairs windows to replace the flocked bunting. I prefer the cloth; the Mister prefers the flocked. No matter which we choose (cloth, of course), we need to size up. I think the size over the front door would be too big, so I'm looking for something in between. Thoughts?


 We have a flag on our small side porch, but we have just ripped out a bunch of cast iron plants from around the porch, so I will spare you that depressing shot.


 The deck, however, looks pretty festive with a banner the Mister purchased for me when he was at the 1996 Olympics. The smaller flag banner is homemade by my mother-in-law. I think I might try to extend it down the steps, or maybe that is too much? Please advise.

 We have been thoroughly enjoying the summer produce around here. With both boys home, we go through it quickly. I buy two watermelons and two or three gallons of milk every week not to mention all the other foodstuffs!


 It was just four of us here for the actual Fourth of July, but we grilled some hotdogs and brats, and feasted on fruit and capered deviled eggs.


And since you know I can't resist a cupcake topper, we had some cupcakes with cream cheese coconut frosting and a little patriotic flair! Don't worry, we didn't eat them all, we delivered some to a sweet friend home from surgery.


Afterward, we watched the fireworks, quite spectacular! And, we still have the beach and the mountains to look forward to, which is pretty sweet.


5 comments:

  1. Looks a wonderful 4th! Who needs the beach when you have cherry pie and deviled eggs! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was feeling the same way....sorry for myself....as we have many friends who have beach houses. But we had a lovely July 4th anyway. Great quote from Teddy. I will remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great party! I am often the one left behind when everyone I know is busy with family or away for the weekends...I just tell myself I dont need to clean two houses or put up with annoying relatives :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your day looked special and your home is a beauty.
    How funny that the men have similar attires.
    I am your new follower and will look forward to your visit and comments
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment! I love hearing your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Add this