Squashed.

It’s Fall Break at Clemson, which means:

a) Son1 came home with a basket of laundry and a ravenous appetite ready to be treated to several home-cooked meals while nestled in the coziness of his family

b) Son1 came home with a basket of laundry and a grocery list because he and Lovely and some friends are going camping

If you guessed “b,” then you are correct.  I would be misleading you if I told you that he hadn’t checked his plans with us.  To say he asked permission would be serious overstatement, but he did tell me of their plans a few days ago.  Knowing how much he loves hiking and camping, we gave our blessing.  He’ll be back in time to eat plenty of home-cooked food and watch football with Middle.  Tomorrow, we’ll go to church, and then tomorrow night, we’ve invited some of his friends and their parents over for a slightly spooky supper.  The next day, he’s headed to Blowing Rock to visit some friends at App State; Tuesday, he’s home to vote and then back to school.

So, with a Halloween supper for 15 to 20 on my mind, I headed to Costco.   I like that the staples are affordable there, and I love that Costco offers a lot of not-so-staple products, too.  Products like Dave’s Gourmet Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce, which, inexplicably, although I’d never heard of Dave’s Gourmet, I could not resist buying.  That’s the trouble with Costco.  Or maybe that’s the trouble with me.IMG_2596

Once home, with all my plunder safely in the pantry, I eyed the squash sauce warily.  I looked carefully at the label.  Where were the recipes?  the menu suggestions?  Nothing.  Fine, I like a challenge.  So out comes, the bowtie pasta and into the pot.    IMG_2600Here’s the recipe I devised based on what I had on hand. I would definitely make it again.  The Mister loved it! 

12 oz farfalle or bowtie pasta

1 jar Dave’s Gourmet Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce

1 15 oz bag baby spinach

4 strips bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled

1 or 2 tbsp sundried tomatoes, drained and julienned or chopped into small bits

1 tbsp chopped pecans, toasted

1 tbsp crumbled bleu cheese (preferably Clemson bleu cheese)

Cook pasta in lightly salted boiling water.  Drain.  While pasta is cooking, saute the spinach in a tablespoon of olive oil.  Add garlic, if desired.  Mix the spinach into the pasta  and add the bacon and sundried tomatoes. Toss all with the butternut squash sauce.   This makes four generous servings.  Sprinkle each with chopped pecans and crumbled bleu cheese, if desired.

Dave’s Gourmet is made from butternut squash grown organically in the Willamette Valley of Oregon.  The squash is mixed with tomato, onion, and spices to give a robust flavor with a slightly sweet undertone.  I’m interested in hearing other ideas for using the squash sauce; after all, I have three more jars. 

squash sauce

Now, that’s the trouble with Costco.

 

 

I was not compensated by Dave’s Gourmet or by Costco for this post.

5 comments:

  1. I would email them and tell them you blogged them and see if they will send you jars of their other products to try and review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that sauce the last time I was at Costco with my mom and did not buy it because I had no idea how to use it. Next time I am getting some and trying your recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. THAT is some yummy recipe.... now if only Costco was nearby!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, it all sounds heavenly. Especially with the toasted pecans and bleu cheese. Yummo! Good luck with your spooky supper. And thanks so much for your visit!

    H.H.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you look on the Dave's Gourmet website: http://www.davesgourmet.com/recipes.php, they have some REALLY good recipes that will give you ideas how to use the rest of your sauce!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment! I love hearing your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Add this