October Gave a Party

October’s Party by George Cooper

tree fall-leaves October gave a party;

The leaves by hundreds came.

The Chestnuts, Oaks and Maples,

And leaves of every name.

treefall eikenhout The Sunshine spread a carpet,

And everything was grand,

Miss Weather led the dancing,

Professor Wind the band.

tree yellow The Chestnuts came in yellow,

The Oaks in crimson dressed;

The lovely Misses maple

In scarlet looked their best.

treered All balanced to their partners,

And gaily fluttered by;

The sight was like a rainbow

New fallen from the sky.tree autumn_leaves_scene

Then in the rustic hollow

At hide-and-seek they played;

The party closed at sundown

And everybody stayed.

treegrowersdiary

Professor Wind played louder;

They flew along the ground;

And then the party ended

In jolly "hands around."

So.  I thought I was finished blogging.  None of my ideas seemed worth writing.  My camera has given me fits, and we are short one computer, which means that my laptop is required for hours of  homework every night.  I have still been reading and even leaving a few comments; I just convinced myself that I was finished writing a blog. After all, I work about 30 hours a week, and boringexcusesboringexcusesboringexcuses. 

And then.  I had an idea.  And then another one.  And so, Happy October!  I think I have some fun posts coming up—just bear with me, and in the meantime, I hope you enjoyed George Cooper’s charming poem.

Do children still have to memorize poetry in school?  Mine have memorized precious little, and I think it’s a shame.

9 comments:

  1. What a lovely post ~ the photos are just perfect.

    Yes, we still teach poetry {at least in CT} and the children really enjoy creating their own.

    Hope you enjoy a very colorful weekend ~
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just the inspiration I needed to get Autumn rolling along. Thanks. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading the poem October's Party (remember reading this in grammar school). When I was in school, many years ago, it was required that we memorize poems; sadly, I don't think this is the case today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you were just talking about a fall break as I would miss you so! I'm glad you were inspired to carry on and I look forward to reading your wonderful posts! Have a wonderful weekend, friend. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pictures. The leaves are so magnificently colored.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to see you back! beautiful poem! Growing up I was home schooled through 6th grade and my mom always was getting us to memorize poems! The "fall poem" I remeber: When the Frost is on the Pumpkin... a super Loooong peom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the colors of fall! I hate all the leaves that fall in my yard. Many of the trees are huge oaks and some of the leaves hang on until January. It's a yearly chore that I dread.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful fall post! I can only dream of the gorgeous fall colors living here in Florida!
    My son had to memorize a Shakespeare poem last year in 7th grade. It was quite long and challenging!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My children haven't had to memorize any poetry, but love the pictures of leaves
    xoxo
    SC

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment! I love hearing your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Add this