Boys will be . . .

Many of you dear readers have kindly written an email or comment to check in with me to see how I am handling having Son1 away at college.  I do miss him, and occasionally find myself still setting a place for him for supper or wondering if he could pick up Little from school, before I remember that he’s away.  It’s hard to be blue for long, though, because he loves his college life.  He’s made new friends, and he’s challenged by his classes—particularly calculus.  Of course, just to make sure that I’m not moping around, God seems to have increased the testosterone output around the house lately.  In other words, Middle is taking up the slack.

Middle has started conditioning for lacrosse, and that provides plenty of sweaty gym clothes to keep the washer and dryer humming.   Not too long ago I opened the dishwasher to find his lacrosse helmet cozied up to the dinner plates and silverware.  Me:  “Son, why is your helmet in the dishwasher?”  “Oh, um, it was really gross and kind of it stinks.”  File that under Ask a stupid question.  I regret I didn’t get a picture.

Imagine my delight to find a plastic dish full of slugs and sliced bananas next to my kitchen sink.   It seems that Middle’s biology honors class is comparing slug adhesive to familiar household adhesives like glue sticks and Scotch tape.  Me: “Is this lid on tight?”HOBBIES GARDENING SLUGS 7/18

From biology, Middle moved straight to physics.  Did you know that if you attempt to throw a large stick (small limb) over your house that the arc of the stick will be compromised if you are also wearing a bookbag with 40 pounds of books on your back?   And, that if you are goofing around and throw the stick as hard as you can, there’s a really good chance it will shatter the double-paned Pella window in your parent’s bedroom?  And, from physics, let’s move on to statistics.  Did you know that if you break your parents’ bedroom window, there is a 100 percent chance that it will be a special order window with a ten-day wait?  There’s also a 100 percent chance that the “thrower” is the “payer.”  Hard lesson learned, indeed. IMG_2477Nevertheless, I can assure you that adolescent boy humor is alive and well at the T&C home.  When I pulled out the Pumpkin Curd and Tart Filling given to me by a  neighbor to make a little treat, I discovered that a certain boy had had a little fun with a Sharpie. Because boys will be boys.IMG_2482

Now if you’d like to make your own little pumpkin treat, take:

1 can pumpkin

1 8 oz block cream cheese, softened

1 Tbsp 10x sugar

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/4 tsp ground clove

Beat well with an electric mixer and chill.  Serve as a spread with crisp gingersnap cookies.

Oh, boy!

7 comments:

  1. That is too funny. I never met a boy who didn't like (f)arts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny! I was just thinking that I live with 5 year old boys. Long story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont think it gets much better...my husband would be guilty of all of those things lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of the funniest stories you have written, Paula ..... loved it and so glad your humor took you through the window ordeal and slugs and lacrosse-helmet-in-the-dishwasher! But the Sharpie on the pumpkin curd put me over the edge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HILARIOUS!!!!!! And your spread sounds fabulous...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My two have been driving me CRAZY today. j went to his room without his supper! Your post made me laugh so hard. And Mike too... He almost fell out of his wheelchair! I needed a good laugh. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you are loving this as you should. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment! I love hearing your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Add this