Barbara Billingsley, Ode to June

  

As most readers must surely know, actress Barbara Billingsley, died this past week.  Billingsley, best known for her role as loving wife and mother on the television show Leave It to Beaver,  became an American icon, representing to many the ideal mid-century woman.  She did make it all look rather effortless; I think it’s important to remember that Billingsley was an actress portraying a character.  Nevertheless, by all accounts, Barbara Billingsley was as lovely and gracious as June Cleaver, who frequently did her housework while wearing a simple string of pearls.  For that reason, the also lovely and gracious Suburban Princess has declared October 22 as June Cleaver Day, asking everyone to wear their pearls to honor Barbara Billingsley. 

IMG_2540

  Here you can see I’m wearing pearls on my sweater, stitched on black grosgrain ribbon, as well as my black pearl earrings.IMG_2541And, here’s the pearl and ribbon detail of the sweater once more.  I must say, it is quite sobering to look at pictures of one’s neck when you reach a certain age!  Although I seldom write about fashion, I will say that I paired the sweater with a black pencil skirt and flat black boots, to sort of balance things a bit. 

Lastly, in tribute to June, Barbara, and my own mother, who clipped this recipe for me years ago, here, allegedly, is Barbara Billingsley’s chocolate chip cookie recipe.June-cleaver June Cleaver’s Cookies from Barbara Billingsley

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix 1 cup shortening, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 beaten egg, and 2 tsp vanilla.  Blend 2 1/2 cups flour, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1 tsp soda.  Stir into sugar mixture.  Mix in one cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips.  Drop rounded teaspoonfuls ontoo an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake about 10 minutes.  Watch closely.  Yield: 5 dozen

And, if you’re too young (as I am!) to have watched Leave It to Beaver when it originally aired, I highly recommend picking up a dvd for an evening’s entertainment.  You’ll find plenty of mid-century fashion as well as some seriously good parenting tips and wholesome humor.

7 comments:

  1. Great post! Thanks for taking part in June Cleaver Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!
    Your pearls (and your neck) look divine!
    I must try this cookie recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boys love Leave It to Beaver!

    A male friend and I dressed as Ward and June for Halloween one year when we were in high school. How classic were we?!?! Of course I wore the pearls too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the peek into your outfit! Thanks for posting her cookie receipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Leave it to Beaver. It was on forever as an after school rerun when I was a kid, and every once in awhile when TBS would have a Beaver marathon....oops, I've been watching for six hours....just one more episode.

    The thing I love about this show is that it really doesn't look that dated (think about the Mary Tyler Moore show as an example of the opposite!). And other than Beaver and his friends roaming around town freely, every other situation could easily be dropped into a contemporary show (without the sassy children, of course!)

    Love your sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom used to look just like Mrs. Cleaver when I came home from school in the mid 60's but sans pearls. I used to watch LITB all the time and had a crush on Tony Dow. His eyes were just so beautiful. Yeah. Now look who's old...ME! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. We always called my mom June Cleaver - when I was in college all my friends and I would go there on lazy Sunday's to do laundry and she would "whip up" snacks like chocolate fondue and mini quiche. My friends love her...

    We will miss Barbara.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment! I love hearing your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Add this