Little by Little

So, it’s come to my attention that babies don’t stay babies.  And, for the most part, that’s okay with me.  Please don’t misunderstand,  I do miss that tender time of mothering. If you have honest-to-goodness babies, then nuzzle those fuzzy heads and savor those toothless drooling grins. As you may have heard, the days go by fast.  On the other hand, if you’re up to your elbows in laundry and spit-up and you-know-what, it won’t always be like that either.  Infants and toddlers are absolutely amazing gifts from God.  And they are also exhausting.  As the Mister and I are fond of saying, some of the nights were long, but the years seem mighty short. 

Our oldest baby turned 18 recently, and, thankfully, he’s still pretty affectionate.  Do I miss the days when he sat in my lap and we read Good Night, Moon? goodnight-moon1 Oh. Yes.  But just the other day, he came home from school and told me in great detail about a film he’d watched in Economics.  The movie was Food, Inc. and my darling brown-eyed boy told me every detail he remembered about U.S.  farm subsidies and the rise of processed foods and our addiction to fructose.  foodinc   He went on to tell me what he thought about this in light of what he had seen in Peru earlier this year.   No, it wasn’t as cute as Good Night, Moon, but in its own way it was just as wonderful.

Another wonder happening before my eyes is watching my daughter discover that she can be a girl as well as a tom boy.  Having two older brothers has inspired her, no doubt.  She is as competitive as the day is long.  From the get-go, she’s wanted no pink.  No purple either (which was just fine with me).  Dresses on Sundays only, thankyouverymuch.  Her tastes in interior design are quite similar—plain and simple, utilitarian even.

I was pretty surprised when she told me she’d like to re-decorate her room.  She needed something “modern” and “appropriate for middle school.”    I told her I was not painting this spring; she’d have to live with the babyish blue.  She was undeterred.  Lime green works with everything, she told me.

IMG_1872 After she’d chosen her quilt, she wanted some shams.  I tried to steer her toward some paisley ones in lime, pink, peach, and blue.  She wanted something bolder, so she found these Ralph Lauren ones at Home Goods.  She was right to want something bolder.  Her room, when it is picked up, looks quite sophisticated.  Thankfully, her collection of Silly Bandz still has a place of honor.IMG_1875 And, of course, Bunny, who also turned 18 this month.IMG_1876

goodnightmoonart

Good night, Moon.

3 comments:

  1. ah goodnight moon! I read that at min 2 nights a week, we all know it by heart. I just adore that story. I am starting to see that babies do not stay babies, I keep looking at my 6 year old and wondering how she grew up so quickly..time does indeed fly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment! I love hearing your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Add this